Subject: RE: Anim-cross-platform
From: Stethem Ted 5721 <[email-masked]>
To: LightWave Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 94 04:06:00 PDT

I convert back and forth quite a bit but have found .MPG a much better 
format for compatibility between the two platforms.  The problem you might 
be having is that .FLC is a 256-color format and your .ANIM may be HAM or 
HAM8 or more than 256 colors.  Mainactor (up to version 1.54 now, I think) 
also only handles 256 color images for .FLC.  Mainactor is more of an 
animation assembler/disassembler compared to an image processing program 
like ImageFX or ADPro.  I think you will find that if you take your Amiga 
.ANIM, take it into ImageFX or ADPro and remap it to 256 colors, then read 
the frames into Mainactor, then you will be able to assemble a suitable 
.FLC.  Also, Mainactor versions prior to 1.53 or so, had a bug in the .FLC 
loader/saver.  This also might be your problem.
  But, like I said, .MPG is a much more compatible format between the two 
platforms and retains a wider color range.  The only drawback is that the 
.MPG players are not always satisfactory although I have found VMPEG for the 
PC and mp-EGS for the Amiga to be pretty good.  If you have ImageFX and the 
.MPEG AREXX script, it automates the process considerably, but then, it 
takes a hell of a long time for the conversion.  I usually set it up before 
I go to bed and wake up to the assembled .MPG.
 ----------
From: owner-lightwave-l
To: lightwave-l
Subject: Anim-cross-platform
Date: Wednesday, September 28, 1994 12:06AM

Question: has anyone had any luck converting from an amiga based ANIM
format to an IBM FLC.  I'm sure there are several of us lightwave user's
who have to sometimes make an anim play back on a IBM.  I have tried
Mainactor, mine seems to choke (not sure why).  When convered with
ImageFX the only IBM viewer I could find aawin or waaplay.zip  loads the
first frame, and says it's not in the right format. If you have a
salution that works (IBM player, amiga converter) e-mail. Although there
might be several others on the list that this info would help.

 --
.__________________________________________________________________________.
|   -== When Dreams Become Reality ==-                    -= IM Design=-   |
|"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""|"""""""""""""""""""""|""""""""""""""""""""|
|     [email-masked]       | FTP: ftp.netcom.com |  Video Production  |
|   [email-masked]     |  DIR: pub/videoman  |  3D Graphics & DTP |
|    Mosaic Home Page: file://ftp.netcom.com/pub/videoman/web/HOME.html    |
~""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""~